Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The End of the Affair.

I like to keep my book reports short and sweet so soak up each word. The End of the Affair by Graham Greene was truly an inspiring book. Greene is considered a "catholic writer", though he preferred to be known as a writer who happened to be Catholic, so his books are saturated with religious themes. Our tragic lovers are Sarah Miles and the man she is having an affair with Maurice Bendrix. The book is written from Maurice's perspective and begins two years after the affair has ended. The book often trails back to episodes of when the two lovers were together in an attempt to show us what the relationship was built upon. I think the most important thing that a person can take from this book is the idea of loyalty and trust, and how we are never fully honest with ourselves enough to bring that honesty into something as intimate and fragile as a lovers relationship. So, I highly recommend this book to you ladies and world, it is a beautiful portrayal of heartbreak and self-deprecation that will have you aware and depressed for days.

I'll leave you with a quote from the book that I think relates to us well. This is an account of how Maurice felt when he first met Sarah.
"I had no idea whatever of falling in love with her. For one thing, she was beautiful, and beautiful women, especially if they are intelligent also, stir some deep feeling of inferiority in me. I don't know whether psychologists have yet named the Cophetua complex, but I have always found it hard to feel sexual desire without some sense of superiority, mental or physical."
So to answers Hannah's question the other day about why were all single, I think that's why. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment